Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Dodge EV Concept -versus- 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 12:08 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dodge EV Concept -versus- 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Based on the front page article about the Dodge EV beating the Dodge Challenger, what are your thoughts about the performance based electric vehicle?

Old 11-17-2008, 04:49 PM
thehemiman12345
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The challenger sounds a lot cooler...

It's clear that the challenger let off at the end of the second run and had a slow shift during the first run. However, it was still impressive that the electric car was able to keep up with it. The only question is how long would the electric car run for? On a short run the electric might win but on a track with say 50 laps or so who would win then?

Old 11-17-2008, 06:03 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im not sure about this specific vehicle, but i did a piece about an electric mini cooper, with a small motor inside each wheel, that made 600whp and ran the quarter in something like 11.20...however, the battery was only good for 4 runs..on a 14 hour charge..

Old 11-17-2008, 07:11 PM
thehemiman12345
All Star

That's the drawback of the electric...they are powerful but you either got only a few runs or you have to lug around a bunch of batteries which then makes you slow...

If they could/are (I'm sure they are) developing some sort of lithium technology for the batteries it would probably make them more attractive (smaller and a longer range). The only thing is once you get to the point, you have to obtain the electricity somehow and burning oil/coal to power cars doesn't make much sense to me. On the other hand if you used solar and hydroelectric power to run them it would make sense. Charge time is another issue. A gas car will always be ready for you where the electric takes a while to charge. If they could combine good battery technology, a non-polluting way to get the electricity, decrease the charge time and increase the range then I could see electric cars being a viable option for the future of our transportation.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:02 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

I think the internal combustion engine is the greatest device man has created. I still think that Chrysler is making the right move with this EV. If we could get just 25% of the market into electric cars, that would guarantee good cars, like the Charger/Challenger would continue. I was reading on the Heritage Foundation website that the middle east and Alaska have 150-300 years of oil at the present usage rate. That means we aren't running out anytime soon, so a little conservation now will make it last alot longer later. Essentailly, cars like the EV will give everybody what they want.

Last edited by mantisman51; 11-17-2008 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not a surprise at all. I know I sound like a broken record, but the Challenger weighs 10 million pounds. Not a surprise.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:28 PM
thehemiman12345
All Star

Originally Posted by mantisman51
I think the internal combustion engine is the greatest device man has created. I still think that Chrysler is making the right move with this EV. If we could get just 25% of the market into electric cars, that would guarantee good cars, like the Charger/Challenger would continue. I was reading on the Heritage Foundation website that the middle east and Alaska have 150-300 years of oil at the present usage rate. That means we aren't running out anytime soon, so a little conservation now will make it last alot longer later. Essentailly, cars like the EV will give everybody what they want.
Even though the internal combustion engine only uses about 25% of the power that gasoline has I do agree that it is one of the greatest devices man has created (other than simple things like the wheel). And I also believe that it's true that we do have enough oil to last us at least another 100 years at the rate we are using it now. The only thing is as it starts do diminish the prices will probably go way up and this is why we need to start developing electric/hydrogen powered cars now. Look how far we have come with computers within the past 30 years....just think what we could accomplish over the next 100 years with alternatively powered vehicles...

Who knows, maybe they could create a pickup that has a solar bed cover that will be able to charge itself around the clock and still look and perform like a normal truck you see on the road today. Same thing with semis, buses, trains. A lot could happen over the next 100 years...

Old 11-17-2008, 10:56 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks like the Challenger let out in both runs. Still hard to beat the sound of a wound up American V8!!

Old 11-19-2008, 07:22 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

electric cars are a VERY bad idea. First off, like someone else said, you have to generate the electricity somehow and thats usually right back to oil. BUT consider this: Batteries only have so long of a life. That electrolytic solution is pure toxic waste and we have no way to recycle it. You can rebuild an engine. If its past rebuilding, you can melt it down and cast a new block. Who bothers to do this to a worn-out car? Enthusiasts. And enthusiasts have no interest in electric cars. In fact, the bulk of us are downright repulsed by them. So when your electric toaster quits moving when you put the key in, it hits the scrap pile. Takes energy to recycle it, and even more to build a replacement. So how's this a viable solution?

Internal combustion is tried and true. Its proven to be reliable. You can theoretically keep a 'real' car going forever if you keep it in tune and put forth the effort. And fossil fuels arent the only option. There's ethanol, CNG, hydrogen, biodiesel, etc. It can be clean, cheap power and they guy who wants to hear 8 cylinders howl from under the hood of a muscle coupe while boiling the rear tires still gets to have his fun. And that car (provided it isnt laden with electronic gimmicks and government mandated garbage to fail and cost money) is viable to keep in service as long as someone is interested in the car. One trip out west here where you see 40+ year old cars and trucks still going is proof of that. rebuilding an old jeep or mustang is the ultimate in sustainability and green technology since they are 100% recyclable. Not into soup cans or iPods but into serviceable reliable vehicles.

Quick Reply: Dodge EV Concept -versus- 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8