3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

where did you purchase your Detroit Truetrac?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:07 PM
SmokeySportRam
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question where did you purchase your Detroit Truetrac?

Im still going to upgrade the rear end soon.

who do you recommend?

Did your DTT come as a kit, like with new carrier bearings and shims?

What gear lube is recommeded for the DTT?

Old 01-07-2009, 10:39 PM
WeightLifter500
Veteran

1) I would recommend Airram.com, seems to me that nick has the best prices around. DTT runs $499 and I believe it is free shipping and handling as well.
2) On his site the bearings are separate but only cost $55, which is still cheaper combined than anywhere else that I saw.
3) When I do my lift and 37's in the fall I will be doing the 4.56 gears and the DTT as well, but here is how I would approach the oil situation. Use the conventional at the start because you have to "wash out" all the scrap metals as the shop should change the gears after about 500 miles, after they change it I would put in a synthetic. I am going to run Royal Purple throughout my truck.

- Remember that during the first 500 miles of the new gears and DTT you will want to baby it to break it in. After the gear lube change it is time to really break them in.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:52 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

I bought mine at 4 wheeel parts. www.4wheelparts.com

They will beat any price you can find!

Not sure what fluid they put in. But I am going to put Royal Purple in soon.

And I am not sure about the carrier bearings, but it was not on my ticket. I did 4:56 gears at the same time (ring and pinion) and the master install kit. That's about as far as I can tell you.

If you have a 4wheelparts near you go in there like you are knocking the price down on a new truck. I talked them down almost the entire price of the DTT from the original quote.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:07 AM
abarmby
Champion

Moe's.
Excellent service and you can get a superior install kit which contains everything you need, including new axle bearings and pinion sleve and crush sleve if your doing the gears as well.
Al.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Wapakfred
Rookie

I'm wanting to do the same thing, and find the closest 4wheelparts is about 150 miles away...but I'm still planning on letting them do it. The logistics of this are fuzzy, but I'll come up with something. I don't have any garages around me I would trust with differential work.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:21 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 01-08-2009, 01:47 PM
SmokeySportRam
Captain

I talked to the people at moes....

thats kinda what steered me away to see where other people are getting them. I called them 5 days in a row, and finally got ahold of someone, and I dont know who it was, but they couldnt tell me if it came with new bearing or shims, and they didnt know what fluid to run, and then they were trying to sell me a master intall kit with a DTT.
Seemed like if you have sold "alot of them" you would know more about it wouldnt you?

Who ever it was didnt know nothing about it, that kinda turned me off of them.

Quick Reply: where did you purchase your Detroit Truetrac?