1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Autolite Copper plugs ok?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Durango03
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autolite Copper plugs ok?

4.7 "D" They were on sale at Pep Boys for $0.99 a peice... Just wondering?

Old 10-14-2008, 11:01 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Default Autolite Copper plugs o.k

I have had the Autolite Coppers in for almost a year (approx 12k miles since install) No issues, starts right up, good cruise, and good smooth response. I wasn't as fortunate for price though but it is still a good plug. There is a very common recommendation to stay with OEM plugs, just something unique to this engine. I would strongly consider the OEM recommendation from some of our more senior posters, but from personal experience I can state that I have had very good luck with my copper. Also I would recommend based on personal experience to stay away from the Platinum plugs of any type. The Autolite Coppers were a replacement for the Autolite Platinums after only about two months.

As a side note for this engine, I am not sure of your experience with this engine but I will have to warn you that the # 8 plug is exceptionally difficult to remove/replace. I am also not sure of that your tool collection but at least in my case the #8 required a good assortment of socket, flex drives, and extension. If I remember correctly it was a 5/8 deep spark plug wrench, universal, and a 6" extension, do not quote me though it was early December. The universal and extension is definitely I am just not 100% on the socket size.
Also since each cylinder has its own coil, be careful to make sure they do not get damaged.
If you got them for .99 that is a $8.00 plug change, pretty cheap by todays standards.

Good luck!!!

Steve

Old 10-14-2008, 11:16 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CHAMPION Iridium.... Runs like a dream...

Old 10-15-2008, 06:47 AM
Durango03
Veteran

Magic, Any other mods you have done? Whats yur avg/ MPG?

sterjo, I saw those are popular for this engine, I just saw these plugs on sale and had to ask. Any noticeable difference in the Iridium?

Old 10-15-2008, 07:39 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango03
Magic, Any other mods you have done? Whats yur avg/ MPG?

sterjo, I saw those are popular for this engine, I just saw these plugs on sale and had to ask. Any noticeable difference in the Iridium?
Well I have a 5.2L and yes I did notice a difference. Smooth idle and helped fuel mileage slightly..

Old 10-15-2008, 08:57 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The Autolite plugs are a small step colder plug so I warn you that using them creates a different burn and therefore can create buildup.

I have seen people install them and trough a missfire usually on #7. I would incorage you to use OEM Champion Rugular plugs, Champion Truck Plugs, Or Champion Iriduim. Just depends on how much money you want to spend. I run the Champion Truck Plug before and after my MSD ignition and really like em. I replace my plugs every year or about 10k to 15k. I can usually feel the ignition and know when it's time. But make sure you replace the plugs (OEM) absolutly every 30k.

Iridium is running great so far. DO NOT USE PLATINUM! The motors were not set up for their use.

If I were you I'd take them back period! Get yourself some reg OEM plugs for a couple of dollars more. Don't forget to gap em!

Old 10-15-2008, 10:29 AM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Autolites run great in the 5.9 but I don't know about the 4.7.

You can't beat an $8 spark plug change.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:21 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

"Magic, Any other mods you have done? Whats yur avg/ MPG?"

I have squeaked out 18-20 MPG highway Cruise @ 70 A/C on Windows closed it takes a bit of work to get the cruise set for highway trim but you get used to it after a while. No other mods except for the XM radio. I am trying to get some input and funds for a K&N CAI kit and new exhaust like magnaflow or flowmaster. Long term projects include recovering the front seats and installing seat heaters, new headlights, taillights and r/r the cracked center console.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:37 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by gr8scott72
Autolites run great in the 5.9 but I don't know about the 4.7.

You can't beat an $8 spark plug change.
If ya blow the motor like the last guy then have at those $8 plugs!

There has only been a hand full of people that liked them period.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

BTW<------They don't work in the 4.7L

Quick Reply: Autolite Copper plugs ok?